Let me make a confession first for I know once this post is published, it’s going to be public information and the truth will be out. My family trusted me with the planning of the itinerary and yet there’s something which I didn’t tell them. But there’s definitely no hiding anymore; that Mount Batur (or Gunung Batur) is actually an active volcano!
It erupted almost every year in the sixties / seventies (1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974 and 1976) and the last time it erupted was in the year 2000. When will it erupt again? Is it dangerous to visit an active volcano? I don’t know but the idea of visiting an active volcano sounds exciting, doesn’t it ?
Ok, enough of pulling your leg. Actually those recent eruptions were considered minor ones. It should be relatively safe to view the volcano from a distance and I am glad we made it back safe and sound. 🙂
There are many restaurants in Kintamani which offer a bird’s eye view of Mount Batur and most of them serve buffet lunch. Since we did not have any preference, our guide brought us to a restaurant which he claimed to have one of the better views of Mount Batur. It was only after our trip that I realized that this restaurant (Tepi Danau, Rumah Makan) has very bad reviews on tripadvisor, especially on their exorbitant prices. However, we only paid about 100,000 IDR each, which was quite alright. I suspect our guide might have something to do with our reasonable pricing. 🙂
We may not be caught in the (tourist) trap, but there is no denying that the quality of food was quite bad. The variety was ok but most of the food were cold and flies were all around us. On the whole, don’t expect too much from the food, just enjoy the weather and view, and you should be fine, or at least not grouchy. Just another tip for you.
Below are some of the food selection for your reference.
Useful Information – Mount Batur :
- Note that it is much cooler up in the mountains and thus do get ready a light jacket / sweater.
- During our trip in December, I guess the temperature was between 15°C to 20°C.
- 50,000 IDR per car
- Buffet at 100,000 IDR per adult
- There are many other activities that one can do in Mount Batur, e.g. Sunrise treking tour, Hot Springs and Cycling. We didn’t opt for any of these adventurous activities as we preferred a more relaxed itinerary. 🙂
- I was told that the hot springs is a very nice experience. Overnight stay is preferred but not necessary.
Estimated traveling time by car:
- Tegalalang Rice Terrace → Mount Batur: 40 minutes